Saturday at 4:30 a.m., Mt. Pleasant woman Jessica Tucker woke up to her bedroom on fire. The fire quickly spread across the entire trailer and, although fire crews got their promptly, the trailer was lost to the blaze.

 

Woman escapes injury, trailer home burns

 

Robert Stevens

Managing editor

6/15/2017

 

PLEASANT—A Mt. Pleasant woman is amazed and thankful that she is still alive following a fire the completely destroyed her trailer home.

During the wee hours of the morning on Saturday,  June 10, Jessica Tucker, 22, woke up suddenly to find a blaze that was spreading from her bedroom to the rest of her home.

“It went up so fast,” she said.

Taylor considers herself extremely, even unexplainably, lucky.

“I’ve truly got someone watching over me. I’m not the easiest person to wake up in the first place. I don’t know how just the smoke woke me up,” she said.

Taylor said she had gone to bed in                 her trailer, located at 30 N. 300 East, on Friday night and everything had been fine. But she has a theory about what started the fire that nearly claimed her life: A candle had been left burning after she fell asleep.

“I fell asleep before I was able to blow it out,” Tucker said. “We’re guessing my cat knocked it over and that’s what started the fire.

Tucker said her neighbors Peter and Brittany Peterson called 911 to get fire trucks on the way, and emergency-response crews arrived in a matter of minutes.

“I want to thank them for their support during the fire,” Tucker said. “I am thankful to everyone who helped me get through this struggle.”

The fire was out in about 30 minutes, Tucker says, but the damage was extensive and the trailer was lost with only patches of the floor remaining. She says the only possessions she was able to recover were some jewelry and some old porcelain dolls she has had since she was a child.

“I was just blown away by the fact that I woke up, and was glad I was able to get my hedgehog out of there alive too,” she said. “… I still haven’t found my cat.”

Tucker wants to use her experience as a warning to others, saying she wants people to realize things like this can happen to anyone who don’t pay attention to fire safety.