Archives for 2018

[Read more…]

[Read more…]

Trend toward lighter sentences affected Mellor outcome

Letter with petition reflects continued anger among some Fayette residents


By James Tilson




MANTI—Sanpete County attorneys felt they couldn’t get the sentence they really wanted in the Tracy Mellor public funds case because of recent changes in Utah sentencing guidelines.

Pointing to the passage of the Justice Reinvestment Initiative (JRI) in Utah in 2015, County Attorney Kevin Daniels said, “It changed the criminal justice system entirely.”

While many of the changes have been positive, one impact he views as negative is cases  getting an “across-the-board reduction in recommendations.”

“The reduced sentences we are seeing are not the result of lenient judges, the reductions are a by-product of a change to the sentencing guidelines,” he said.

Daniels explained how he thought that reform in the criminal justice system often ran in cycles, calling it the “pendulum concept.” He said legislators will respond to calls for change in the criminal justice system by going from one extreme to the other.

“After the Reagan era, get-tough-on-crime changes resulted in much more severe punishments. Now the reforms are swinging to the other extreme of leniency,” he said.

While there has been a lot of opposition to people being incarcerated for long periods for drug possession, he said, all cases are getting much more lenient sentences, not just drug cases.

Mellor, the long-time Fayette town clerk and recorder, pleaded guilty to writing checks out of city funds to her husband’s business. Investigators said the thefts went back to at least 2009. She was charged with stealing $153,000. But she took other money that she couldn’t be charged with taking because the statute of limitations had run out on those thefts.

Knowing how sentencing recommendations were going lately, the County Attorney’s Office planned to ask for a one-year jail sentence. But when the pre-sentence report came from Utah Adult Probation and Parole (AP&P) with a recommendation of no jail time, Daniels said, “We were quite shocked.”

After seeing the low recommendation, Daniels and Assistant County Attorney Wes Mangum decided all they could realistically argue for was 60 days in jail. The court ultimately ordered 45 days.

Daniels said AP&P, using new sentencing guidelines, is routinely issuing lenient sentencing recommendations. He recalled the Mathew Malstrom case, in which an 18-year-old boy was convicted of stealing about $40,000 worth parts and weapons from Christensen Arms in Gunnison. The original recommendation was for only 45 days, with credit for time served. Daniels’s office argued for a lengthier jail term, and the court eventually sentenced Malstrom to serve 120 days in jail.

Daniels also recalled a sex crime in which the recommendation was for only 30 days in jail. Daniels argued that particular defendant needed to be sentenced to prison. In that particular case, the judge followed Daniels’ recommendation and not the presentence report.

Changes are taking place all over Utah, not just in Sanpete County. Daniels cited a Kane County case from 2017 in which a city treasurer was charged with embezzling public funds. In that case, which was tried by the Utah Attorney General’s Office, the defendant pleaded guilty to one count of a third-degree felony, not three felonies like Mellor pleaded to. The defendant wound up with a 30-day jail sentence.

Daniels said he knew that there was strong sentiment in the community regarding Mellor’s sentence, everything from people who wanted her to walk free to people who “wanted to give her the death penalty.” Daniels said he personally felt at least a year in jail was warranted.

Since her sentencing, the community atmosphere has not simmered down. An anonymous letter has been circulating around Fayette this week, and apparently was mailed to each of the 70 households in town, accusing various government officers and entities of “not caring about Fayette.”

The letter asks recipients, “Do you care about Fayette?” and invites them to make their opinions known to Judge Wallace Lee, Mellor’s sentencing judge.

Investigations of Fayette town government are not finished. Last week, the Sanpete County Sheriff’s Office sent the results of its investigation into further misuse of public funds by people other than Mellor to the county attorney’s office for review.

Daniels said the investigation is “still in the process” and he expected to have a decision on whether to file charges within a couple of weeks.


Orem man charged with LDS document forgery


Many historical photos from Sanpete destroyed in scam


By Robert Stevens

Managing editor



Kevin Schuwer, 29, of Orem has been charged with theft and forgery for allegedly stealing a historic photo of Porter Rockwell from the BYU library. He is also the target of a civil suit for selling forged historic LDS books and coinage. He particularly trafficked in pioneer-era photographs from Sanpete County.

OREM—While a confessed forger and an apparent thief of books and photographs is facing legal consequences for his actions, a local book and documents dealer who spotted the fakes and warned his colleagues says the case will damage the market for the LDS artifacts for years to come.

Kevin Mark Ronald Schuwer, 29, of Orem, was recently charged with theft and theft by deception, both third-degree felonies, and engaging in a pattern of unlawful activity, a second-degree felony.

Schuwer is accused of stealing eight rare books from Special Collections at the BYU library as well as a rare photograph of Porter Rockwell from the library.

Meanwhile, he faces a suit seeking more than $500,000 in damages for allegedly selling a forged 1849 LDS gold coin and a number of counterfeit books that would be considered very rare if they were authentic.

According to the civil court documents, in which Schuwer confesses to forgery, the fake books included a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants from 1835 purported to have belonged to Emma Smith, an 1835 LDS hymnal, a 1614 King James Bible, and an 1837 Book of Mormon said to have been owned by LDS apostle James E. Talmage.

But those items were the tip of the iceberg, says Ryan Roos, owner of Thunderbird Books and Tilted Tulip Floral in Ephraim, and co-owner of Writ and Vision Rare Books in Provo with his partner, Brad Kramer.

Roos has dealt in rare books and documents for nearly two decades. He studied history, philosophy and religion at Utah State University, during which time he worked in special collections at the Merrill-Cazier Library.

Years ago, Roos gave a lecture in which he warned dealers and collectors of LDS artifacts that a forger as devastating to the LDS artifacts market as the infamous Mark Hoffman would emerge. When Schuwer started trafficking in artifacts, Roos and Kramer were about the only people in the field who didn’t get fooled by his fakes.

“I first encountered Kevin when he came into the Provo store three years ago,” Roos says. “He showed me a number of rare photos and documents. I was immediately struck by his aggressive attitude when it came to what he was selling.

“As a dealer, and someone who has spent his adult life in the field, I’ve learned that the more someone is trying to conceal something, the more overbearing they become. This was my first indication that something was wrong. My second clue was that much of what he was telling me regarding his rare items was simply false.”

After Schuwer tried to sell Roos something Roos himself had once owned, but with a completely falsified provenance (the “paper trail” of a collector’s item), Roos suspected fraud.

Ryan Roos, owner of Thunderbird Bookstore in Ephraim, holds up three authentic historic LDS photographs. For years, his warning to other book and document sellers that a young antiques dealer was creating sophisticated forgeries fell on deaf ears

Roos warned many of his customers and colleagues that Schuwer was engaged in fraud, but his warnings fell on deaf ears.

“I was largely dismissed, with several dealers who I had known for years turning on me, and thrashing my reputation for questioning the authenticity of Kevin’s offerings,” Roos says. ”Since Kevin was involved with nearly every major dealer and collector in my trade, I experienced a massive loss in business by challenging his practices.

“It’s easier to shoot the messenger, especially when you’re making a fortune or being supplied seemingly priceless materials. Customers who had invested heavily in him almost immediately refused to do business with me. Because I had questioned Kevin’s activities early, he effectively offset those criticisms by convincing a number of high-power collectors and dealers…to blacklist me.”

It was around this time that Roos started to suspect Schuwer was also forging historic photographs. Schuwer peaked Roos’s suspicion when showing what Roos considered an excessive interest in labels adorning historic LDS photos—labels that disclosed the name and often the location of the photographer.

Many of the names and locations came out of Sanpete County. When Roos noticed the red flag, he banned Schuwer from his store. He later found out Schuwer had employed a proxy buyer to continue his inquiries into Roos’s and Kramer’s collection.

It wasn’t long after that Roos began noticing a trend on eBay—a market he admits is a sometimes a “wild west” for collectibles. Someone was buying up historic, but relatively low-value, Sanpete photographs in spades. Roos began to suspect it was Schuwer. Later in a warrant search, police found more than 30,000 valuable, high-resolution historic images saved to Schuwer’s iPad.

From examining Schuwer’s photos, Roos was able to see that he would purchase an historic family photo from a small town, often in Sanpete County, remove the original image, and replace it with one that he had printed himself—one that would appeal to collectors.

Because the card stock on which he’ placed his photograph was real, collectors didn’t suspect a forgery. But when examined closely, a dot matrix appears, which indicates the image was printed.

Roos says his first confirmation of a Schuwer forgery was in 2015. So by all appearances, Schuwer had been at work for several years—maybe more—before he was caught this year.

Left unchecked, Schuwer’s work would have destroyed the market for historic Utah photos, Roos says. “With what we know now about how he would destroy legitimate history to create fake photos, it seems like had he not been caught now, we would have faced a catastrophic situation in regards to historical photos.”

The revelation of Schuwer’s thievery and fakes is already wreaking havoc on the market, Roos says. “I know that collectors, dealers and archives are in a panic. Nobody’s talking because everyone is breathlessly searching their holdings for his fakes—and they keep finding them! Nobody wants to ruin the reputation of their institution by speaking openly right now.

This scan of a historic photo looks authentic, but when magnified, dot-matrix pixels show it to be a scan of the photo, not the original., even though it is pasted on cardstock from decades ago.

“It’s going to temporarily stun the market,” Roos adds. “Until people know they can again trust that the historic documents they’re buying weren’t printed at the local Costco, the market is frozen.”

Schuwer emphasized Sanpete-based photos in his “collecting” because, while the photos indeed came out of early Mormon times, they were often not as well-cataloged, and that made them easier to forge without detection, Roos says.

“This is a monumental desecration of our past,” Roos says. “The reality is that anyone who sold their family photos to this dealer [Schuwer] based on his promise of preservation likely had their ancestors photos peeled off and thrown away, and more lucrative and freshly printed  photos pasted in their place.”

While Schuwer has been caught, and Roos’s warnings have been proven correct,  he says he has still not regained the customers who blacklisted him. Roos says he has received one apology from a dealer, but he thinks many are too embarrassed to come forward.

“It’s never easy to say the unpopular thing, but I had enough confidence in my training and myself to know what I was looking at,” he says. “I likely lost tens of thousands of dollars by not dealing with Kevin and his frauds. And honestly, it was worth every penny. Our family has chosen to lay down our roots in Sanpete, and for a stranger to come in and abuse not only my profession but my people is something I take very personally.”

Photos, recordings restricted due to disruptions by citizen’s group


By James Tilson




MANTI—A local “citizens” group has prompted a change in what the district court allows to be recorded within its courthouses.

Stating they are “concerned about decorum and the protection of persons doing business within the courthouse” as well as “persons being photographed, filmed, or recorded without their knowledge or permission,” the judges of the 6th District Court signed an administrative order on Nov. 16 prohibiting photographing, filming or recording, except in designated areas in the courthouse, outside of courtrooms.

The order also said “no one may photograph, film, or record an individual without that individual’s express consent.”

The “common area” where photographing is permitted is the county commission meeting room in the basement. The room was chosen as it was a specific area that did not block access to courtrooms or county offices in other parts of the courthouse.

According to Sanpete County Attorney Kevin Daniels, the changes in court policy came about due to actions of a group calling themselves the Sovereign Citizens.

“These people claim the state of Utah has no jurisdiction over them, and thus the court cannot impose any judgments on them,” Daniels said.

Apparently, members of the group have been congregating in courthouses, not only in the 6th District but all over Utah, and filming people around the courthouses and conducting what Daniels called “recruiting.”

The group’s claims, when they are in court, appear to center around their contention that they are not citizens of Utah, but instead “real persons” and they do not have a “contract” with the state of Utah or its courts.

However, as Daniels recounts, those claims have had no success with the judges. “Most of the time, the person is found in contempt of court and placed into custody. Or the trial will go on anyway,” he said.

Daniels said an individual in Mt. Pleasant by the name of Jacquelyn Smith appears to be the leader of the movement, although, according to Daniels, she is currently facing an eviction proceeding from her home.

Daniels stated emphatically the regular media in no way influenced the order. The regular coverage of court hearings and trials by the media is allowed through written requests and orders by the court, and has proceeded in an orderly fashion, he said. The order does not change in any way how the media cover or photograph court proceedings.

[Read more…]

Candlight tour will benefit community center




Lights are on at the restored Jacob Johnson home in Spring City, one of five homes being showcased at a new Christmas candlelight tour on Saturday.

SPRING CITY—What sponsors describe as a “new tradition,” a candlelight tour of pioneer homes in Spring City, is scheduled Saturday from 4-7 p.m.

Participants in the tour will see charming restored homes decked out for the holidays and have a chance to enjoy live music, hot cider and wagon rides, according to Alison Anderson, president of the Friends of Historic Spring City, which is putting on the event.

Besides the food, music and touring, visitors can purchase paintings by Spring City artists. “We’re calling this the Christmas Miniature Collection,” Anderson says. “These are very small, original paintings, perfect for gifts to your most special friends and loved ones, created by Spring City artists only at Christmastime and specially priced.”

Five homes are on the tour:

  • Jacob Johnson home, 390 S. 100 West, now owned by Alison and Chris Anderson.
  • Charles Crawforth farmhouse, 2 miles south of Spring City on Crawford Lane, now owned by J. Scott Anderson. (Note accompanying feature article.)
  • Andrew Johnson house, 90 S. 100 West, now owned by Donna and Paul Penrod.
  • Iver Peterson granary, 309 N. Main St., now owned by David Rosier.
  • Springfarm House, 50 E. Center St., now owned by Marta and Steve Sloan.

The art sale, music and refreshments will be located at the Spring City Community Center (old school), 45 S. 100 East.

Tickets are $10 and may be purchased at the community center or any of the homes. Please have either a check or correct change. Proceeds go to fund the community center.


Marion Snedecor celebrates her 100th birthday Dec. 7


Marion Snedecor


Marion G. Snedecor was born Martin Edith Godwin on Dec. 7, 1918 in New York City.

She celebrated her 100th birthday Dec. 7 surrounded by her Utah family. She has a daughter, Caryl Ann Greulich in New Jersey, son, Charles E. Snedecor in Sanpete and son W. Douglas Snedecor in New York. She has 12 grandchildren, 22 great-grandchildren and 3 great-great-grandchildren.

SHe resides at the Golden Skyline Assisted Living Center in Ephraim.

George John White


George John White

George John White, age 78, passed away Tuesday morning, Dec. 4, 2018 in Gunnison, Utah.
George was born July 18, 1940 in Roxbury, New Hampshire to Alpheus Cummings White and May Elizabeth Nourse White. He graduated from Keene High School in 1958. He married Norlan Irene Broyles in Burbank, California on April 8, 1960. She later passed.
George was a 20-year veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps serving in the Vietnam War and various locations throughout the U.S. including California, Okinawa, New York and Hawaii. George worked as an aircraft safety equipment mechanic while he served.
He worked as a truck driver but enjoyed many other activities. He was an avid golfer and enjoyed going to Palisades Golf Course, often teeing off at sunrise with his buddies. George also participated in re-enactments of mountain men rendezvous during the late 1980’s to 1990’s. He could be seen parading around in his mountain man attire during the July 24th parades in Mayfield.
One of George’s greatest joys was playing Santa Claus, and he fit the part perfectly. For several years he could be found at various Christmas parties on Christmas Eve in Mayfield.
Later in life, George became a permanent fixture at the well-known cafe-store Lishey Lou’s in Mayfield. It was one of his greatest joys and he felt very fulfilled doing his part by helping out, running the register, and greeting customers.
George is survived by his daughters: Paige (Mark) Ishii of Orem; Georgia (Kevin) Kiggins of Orem; his granddaughters: Madison Ishii of Ogden; Sienna Ishii of Orem; Lose Vai Fo Ou of Orem; Ana Vai Fo Ou of Orem; Natasha Lynn White of Bloomfield, New Mexico; his grandsons: Miles Keith Cole of Mayfield; Kendrick Kiggins of Orem; Zachary Kiggins of Orem; Clayton Jonathon White of Bloomfield, New Mexico; and Chauncey Alpheus George White of Bloomfield, New Mexico.
George was preceded in death by his father and mother, Alpheus Cummings and May Elizabeth Nourse White; his wife Norlan Irene Broyles White, and his son Jonathan William Chauncey White.
A celebration in the honor of George’s life will be held at from 10 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018 in the Mayfield Community Center, 52 North Main, Mayfield. Military honors will be provided by the Utah Honor Guard and the Centerfield American Legion Post #105 at 1:30 p.m.
Services are under the care of the Springer Turner Funeral Homes of Richfield and Salina, Utah.
Online guestbook at



Lorene Larson Willardson


Lorene Larson Willardson

Our loving mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister and friend, Lorene Larson Willardson, 85, passed away peacefully Dec. 8, 2018, in Gunnison, surrounded by loving family.
She was born to Lu Terry and Edna Tuttle Larson in Ephraim, on June 13, 1933.
In her younger years Lorene was an active contributor on the family farm and in her community where she worked as a lifeguard and was crowned Cowboy Sweetheart. She graduated from Snow High, Snow College.
Throughout her life Lorene was productive and not afraid of hard work. She worked at the turkey plant in Salina, the sewing plant in Manti and Gunnison, D&D Buick in Gunnison, and then tirelessly built alongside her husband their family owned business; Dee’s Body and Fender, that she still managed up to only a few years ago.
Lorene was best known for her welcoming spirit and passion in serving others. No matter if she knew you or not, you were always welcomed into her home and would be treated like family. She was a talented cook and could whip up a meal in no time; rarely would anyone leave her home without first enjoying a hot delicious meal, good company, and a humorous story or two. She would always give you her best, and would say; “I’m fine” in spite of the long hours she had just worked or not feeling well.
She simply “loved” and we will truly miss her, her laughter, her hugs, and hearing her say, “love you, dear.”
Survived by her children: Rodney (Tammy) Willardson, Centerfield; Roger (Candice) Willardson, Mayfield; Teresa (Doug) Frandsen, San Antonio, Texas; Lynda (Terrel) Edwards, Sterling; Lynn (Sharalee) Willardson, Ephraim; Delene (Mark) Coates, Gunnison; brother, Ray Terry (Nadine) Larson, Ephraim; 27 grandchildren and 67½ great-grandchildren.
Preceded in death by her husband Dee Gilbert Willardson; parents; sisters: Vonda Lee Larson and Margaret LaRue Larson.
Funeral services will be held Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018 at noon in the Gunnison Stake Center, 80 W Center. Viewings will be held Wednesday, from 6-8 p.m. and Thursday morning from 10–11:30 a.m. Interment will be at Gunnison Cemetery. Funeral Directors: Magleby Mortuary, Richfield, Salina and Manti. Online guestbook at



Nicholas Gonzales and Haley Greening


Ms. Crystal Bailey and Mr. and Mrs. Scott Greening are proud to announce the marriage of their daughter, Haley Ann Greening to Nicholas Dean Gonzales, son of Wendi Gonzales and the late Gregory Christensen on Friday, Dec. 24, 2018.

Haley graduated from Manti High School in 2015, and currently works at Top Stop in Manti.

Nick also graduated from Manti High School in 2013 and is currently working for Parry Siding in Ephraim.

Please join the couple for a ceremony in celebration at 2 p.m., with a reception to follow in the Sterling Town Hall, 74 N. 100 West.

If you did not receive an invitation, please consider it an unintentional oversight, and come join us as two become one. The couple will make their home in Manti.

Gunnison Valley Hospital Births 12-13-2018


Kyson Scott Hintze was born to Bryan and Camille Hintze of Manti on Nov. 27, 2018. He weighed 9 pounds 5ounces.

Frankie Ryan Feigh was born to Kyle and Alex Feigh of Gunnison on Dec. 1, 2018. She weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces.


Manti’s posting high scores, sweeping away opponent with potent offense


By Robert Stevens




Senior Ben Cluff drives past an Eagle defender to go for a jump shot in the Templars win over Millard. The Templars are averaging more than 70 points per game.

MANTI—If you’re living in Manti and in need of happy thoughts, you can think of barbecued turkey, snow-capped mountains or upcoming holidays.

                Or you can think about how the Manti Templars have the most potent offense in 3A basketball and are outscoring 4A teams.

                The team has put on a scoring clinic this year, posting more than 70 points per game, and they met the 71-point mark twice in a row last week with wins over Juab, 71-57, and Millard, 71-59.

                To put that in perspective, Manti only plays 32 minutes of regulation basketball in a game. It’s like watching the Utah Jazz score 133 points per game. The scoring output is even more impressive when it has held up in different situations among different opponents.

                “The game in Juab was a fun game,” head coach Devin Shakespear said. “They had a good crowd and the gym was loud…Guys are getting more experience and starting to step up and give good minutes.”

                At the end of one quarter, Juab was keeping pace with the Templars, 18-18, and the Wasps stayed within reach at halftime, 36-30. But Manti came out firing after the half and poured 22 points onto the scoreboard, leading by as much as 18 points at different points in the game.

                Second-half defense played a big part, Shakespear said, as the Templars clamped down on the perimeter and rebounding.

                Against Millard, Manti fell behind by 9 points after only 4 minutes of play. But then they settled down and began to dominate once more. Just like before, Manti burned the roof down in the third quarter to the tune of 25 points to take a 16-point lead into the final 8 minutes that the Eagles could not overcome.

                “After a few early injuries, we are healthy, and our depth really helps us against teams like Millard who only play six or seven guys,” Shakespear said. “Our rebounding and transition are improving; now we just have to be quicker on the flight of the ball.”

                Next week, a rivalry awaits. On Tuesday, the Templars head to Gunnison to take on the Bulldogs, followed by a heavyweight road matchup against South Summit. They will participate in the Coach Walker Memorial Holiday Classic at Pine View High School in St. George the week after.

Lady Templars ‘hitting their stride,’ says coach


By Robert Green




Sophomore Katie Larson takes a heavily contested shot in the Lady Templars’ match against Payson last Tuesday. Larson finished the game with six points.

MANTI—Two losses and a strong win defined the Lady Templars’ hoop performance last week, leaving head coach Brennon Schweikart excited about what he sees.

                The Manti girls’ basketball team fell to a strong second-half showing from Payson, 43-32, last Tuesday before being trucked over by Millard at home, 54-34. Manti, nevertheless, finished the week on a high note with a 49-45 win over Delta.

                “After six games in nine days, Manti is hitting their stride and trending up,” Schweikart said. “This stretch, games have been against some of the best in 2A and 3A with one school [Payson] being 4A. Our young team is learning what it takes to win basketball games no matter the opponent. Our team is improving daily and is excited to get back on the court for our next game.”

                Against Payson, Manti’s strong first-half showing had the Lionesses pinned against the ropes and trailing the Templars by 6 points at the half. Payson made up the entire difference in a quarter, taking a 1-point lead and leaving Manti in the dust by the end of the game.

                Millard never gave the Templars a shot last Thursday, outscoring them in every quarter in route to a 20-point beating. It was also the second consecutive game in which no Manti player scored in double figures.

                The Lady Templars finally breathed new life against a tough Delta squad by posting a much-needed road victory over the Rabbits. Sophomores Katie Larson and Kassidy Alder stepped up the scoring to lead Manti with 13 and 11 points, respectively.

                A key weakness in Manti’s losses to the Lionesses and Lady Eagles was an insurmountable dearth from the charity stripe. The Lady Templars shot 16-37 from the free-throw line in those games, just 43 percent, compared to 13-22, or 59 percent, against Delta.

                This week, Manti will face off against 4A Orem and 1A Tintic. Then a rivalry awaits as the Templars head south to battle with Gunnison Valley next Thursday.

Two wins leave Bulldogs undefeated


By Benjamin Thornberg




Gunnison’s Creed Mogle takes a running leap for a jump shot during their big win against Waterford last week.

GUNNISON—The Gunnison boys basketball team defeated Waterford and American Preparatory Academy of  West Valley last week, leaving the Bulldogs undefeated so far this season.

The Bulldogs racked up healthy leads in both games. They defeated Waterford last Thursday, Dec. 6, 71-48. Then on Friday, Dec. 7, the Bulldogs won against APA, 66-46.

“Up to this point we have had an enjoyable and favorable preseason schedule,” said Coach Ben Hill. “Our schedule will quickly stiffen as we face Manti and Kanab this week.”

Against Waterford, Gunnison outscored its opponents in each quarter.

The game with APA went equally as well for the Bulldogs. During the second quarter, the Eagles made impressive progress, which continued into the third quarter and left them behind the Bulldogs by just 12 points. But Gunnison came back in the final minutes with a string of shots from behind the arc to rack up the 20-point win.

Parx Bartholomew scored 26 points in the Waterford game, four of which were behind the arc. Keizel Janzen scored 15 points and Jackson Hill scored 14 points.

In the game against the Eagles, Bartholomew scored the game-high 31 points, 18 of which were three-pointers. Most of the points were made in the first and last quarters, giving the Bulldogs a lead in the beginning and end.

“Our lone senior, Parx Bartholomew, has been a great leader for us,” Hill said. “Fortunately, we have shot very well from three-point range so far this season.”

Gunnison’s upcoming games are all at home. They played Manti on Tuesday and Altamont on Wednesday. Both games were after press time. They will finish this week against Kanab Friday at 7 p.m.


Hawks lose close game, then come through with tight win


By James Tilson




SALINA—The North Sanpete High School boys’ basketball team went 1-1 on the week, securing a tight win on Friday to go to 2-3 on the year.

The Hawks traveled to Millard High on Wednesday to lose in a squeaker, 54-55. And then on Friday, the Hawks traveled to North Sevier, where the ball bounced their way for a 56-54 victory.

“With being a new team, we are still figuring out end of game situations,” said Head Coach Cris Hoopes. “We will need to have more discipline to finish games.”

Jamal Mayoul led the Hawks in scoring against Millard with 19 points. “On Wednesday, Jamal played very well. He scored well around the basket and rebounded very well,” Coach Hoopes said.

Friday saw the emergence of a couple of sophomores, Dallan Steadman and Trevin Morley, both of whom played crucial minutes. “Morley made the two game clinching free throws, and helped us get the win late,” he said.

With the win on Friday, North Sanpete improved to 2-3 on the year. The Hawks are working a young team into mid-season shape.

This week, the Hawks travel to Duchesne on Wednesday night, and then host the Juab Wasps on Friday night. Tip-off on Friday starts at 7 p.m.