Archives for September 2018

[Read more…]

Manti’s Travis Thompson, No. 12, hops over a tumbling Cowboy on his way to the end zone. Thompson and Manti QB Kyle King proved to be an effective team in the game against Grantsville, but not effective enough. Despite big plays like a 74-yard touchdown pass from King to Thompson, Grantsville came out with a 28-14 win.

 

Grantsville pulls away during second half in hard-fought game against Templars

 

By Robert Stevens

Managing editor

9-6-2018

 

Manti’s Adam Huff leaps for a pass that would end up out-of-bounds during the team’s loss against Grantsville on Friday, Aug. 31.

MANTI—On paper, the Manti Templar contest with Grantsville last Friday appeared to be a two-man passing threat against a one-man rushing attack, with the Cowboys coming out ahead after three quarters of tied football to win, 28-14.

Of course, anyone who understands team sports knows that is not the case, but you could make that mistake if you were looking only at statistics. Because in a game where two teams battled neck-and-neck toward a tie that lasted halfway into the fourth quarter, the game was a showdown between the Templar combo of QB Kyle King and his teammate Travis Thompson, versus Grantsville’s seemingly unstoppable junior ball-runner, Parker Thomas.

In fact, throughout the whole game, special teams excluded, King, Thompson and Thomas were the only players putting points on the board.

Manti coach Cole Meacham said King and Thompson have been clicking together well in the games so far, and support from other players on the receiving end, such as Adam Huff, have helped the team continue to improve their passing.

Four minutes into the first quarter, Thomas ran in the first touchdown, followed up by a successful kick by Dayne Linton.

Barely more than a minute later, Manti answered back when Thompson scored after catching a 74-yard rocket launch from King. Seth Cornelsen kicked the extra point.

But the Templars were in for more trouble from Thomas in short order. Less than a minute after Thompson’s touchdown, the Cowboy galloped 67 yards in to score again. The first quarter wrapped up with Grantsville leading 14-7.

Not to be unseated from their 2-0 record so easily, with a little more than 9 minutes into the second half, Manti worked its way up the field, and King threw the ball again into the waiting arms of Thompson, followed immediately by another extra point from Cornelsen.

That is when it all ground to a screeching halt. For nearly a third of the entire game, the teams maintained a scoreless stalemate.

Meacham says the defensive plays during the stalemate were from adjusting their own defensive strategy, and a strong defense coming from Grantsville as well.

The tie would only last so long, however. Grantsville once again had Thomas to thank when he ran in another touchdown with nearly 5 minutes left in the fourth. Linton tacked on the extra point for the Cowboys.

The Templars where still hitting a brick wall offensively. They would not score again during the game, but Thomas would score one last time.

With 15 seconds to go before the game was over, Thomas pushed his way through to his fourth touchdown of the game, Linton added the final point of the night, and the Cowboys walked away the undisputed winners.

“We learned some things from this game,” Meacham said. “Grantsville’s Parker Thomas was a fantastic player with a strong offensive line to back him up. Our kids played great and with some fine tuning I think we are going to do well into the rest of the season.”

Now sitting at 2-1, the Templars will face the Emery Spartans (0-3) on Friday in an away game.

 

Templars accelerate through second half, beat North Sanpete decisively

 

By James Tilson

Sports writer

9-6-2018

 

Manti High’s Ashton Wood gathers possession of the ball during the game between Manti and North Sanpete last Thursday. Manti came out on top, 5-0.

MANTI—A second half explosion put a tight game out of reach, as the Manti Lady Templars defeated the North Sanpete Lady Hawks 5-0 last Thursday in a girls soccer match at Manti High School.

Although Manti took a 1-0 lead in the first half, the Lady Templars struggled to maintain possession through to scoring opportunities. “It took us a little bit to get our groove, but we found it,” said Manti Head Coach Elishia Steinfeldt. “We came out sluggish, but we worked through it.”

In the second half, the “groove” came around for Manti. In the space of about ten minutes, the Lady Templars blew open the game, scoring four goals in quick succession. Steinfeldt said the explosion was a result of hard work by the team to keep possession as a team. “We’ve been working really hard to play possession ball, and not just force the ball down the field. We want to stay connected, and move forward as a team.”

North Sanpete Head Coach Mickel Holder admitted her team may have run out of gas in the second half, but they were also dealing with some adversity as well. “It was both physical and mental. We’ve been working on our physical training, and we’re not quite there yet. But we had four injured varsity players today, three of them starters. I was really proud of our first half effort.”

Kassidy Alder and Ally Squire both had two goals for the Lady Templars, while Jayci Jolley added on another. Goalkeeper Jentry Young maintained a clean sheet by shutting out the Lady Hawks.

Both teams have begun their region schedules. North Sanpete travels to Grand County today, and plays South Sevier and Richfield next week. Manti travels to Richfield today, and plays Grand County and Emery next week.

Gunnison Valley quarterback Caden Madsen looks for a completion against South Sevier last Friday night. The Bulldogs fell to South Sevier, 28-63.

 

So. Sevier runs off 23 points straight,

Bulldogs too far behind to catch up

 

By James Tilson

Sports writer

9-6-2018

GUNNISON—The Gunnison Bulldogs could not overcome a horrible start against the South Sevier Rams in which the Bulldogs gave up 23 unanswered points in the first quarter on the way to a 28-63 defeat.

Center-quarterback exchange woes continued for the Bulldogs in the game last Friday, Aug. 31, as two early snaps sailed over quarterback Caden Madsen’s head, leading to a South Sevier touchdown and a safety. The Rams scored on their next two possessions and had a 0-23 lead before the first quarter was half over.

The injury bug made its appearance, too. Senior starters Thomas Yardley and Ty Hill were both sidelined before the game began, which took out two key linemen for the Bulldogs.

Gunnison Coach Jack Pay made a switch at center after the first three series in the game and had junior Brandon Tucker take over for the duration. The move settled down the offense, eliminated the bad snaps and enabled Gunnison to start putting some possessions together.

However, the Bulldogs could not find an answer for big Rams running back Tyson Chisholm. Chisholm wound up scoring six touchdowns and was a primary force for the Rams.

After starting the half behind 6-43 at half, Pay was able to make some adjustments, and his team came out with a little more fire. The Bulldogs took the opening possession and scored, and the crowd felt a little excitement. However, Gunnison was not able to stop the Ram running attack and could only keep pace with South Sevier the rest of the game.

Gunnison will travel to Enterprise this Friday. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

North Sanpete’s Cesar Lemus digs for more yardage in the Hawks’ game against Cedar last Friday night. North Sanpete fell to Cedar, 6-14.

 

Hawk defense OK, but offense not on track in time

 

By James Tilson

Sports writer

9-6-2018

 

CEDAR CITY—North Sanpete has made a point of “grinding” out its games this year, and last Friday was no different.

The Hawks limited the Cedar Redmen to only two touchdowns, but could not get their own offense on track until late in the game and ended up falling to Cedar 6-14.

“We played right with them the entire game, and moved the ball down the field like we wanted to but didn’t execute when we got into the Red Zone,” said North Sanpete Head Coach Rhett Bird.

Brock Justesen led the Hawks with 30 yards rushing, although three other Hawks had significant yards as the Hawks went with running back by committee.

The Hawks had a chance to even up the game up to the last horn, but fell just a little short. “The last drive was one that we look back on and ask ourselves if we got a little greedy. We found a rhythm there in the fourth quarter and got away from it on the last drive trying to score. We had drawn up a reverse for this game and thought it would be great to call it on fourth down to either put us in the Red Zone or score. Things weren’t executed the way they were supposed to, and it didn’t go our way. I’m proud of the way our kids competed all the way down the stretch.”

This week, North Sanpete hosts the Judge Memorial Bulldogs at North Sanpete High School, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.

Sanpete gets $75,000 grant to hire

social worker who will focus on preschool

 

9-6-2018

SALT LAKE CITY—Sanpete County has been awarded $75,000 to hire a social worker to focus on preschool enrollment for children experiencing intergenerational poverty, according to the Utah Department of Workforce Services.

Intergenerational poverty is a phenomenon where two or more successive generations of a family rely on public assistance at least one year.

In 2012, the Utah State Legislature passed the Intergenerational Poverty Mitigation Act to help children break out of the public assistance pattern.

Utah takes a two-generation approach with families by focusing on the needs of parents and their children simultaneously.

“So it’s really taking an individualized approach—looking at all the services that are available,” Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox said.  “Not just government services, but nonprofits, volunteers, our faith-based communities. We bring all of these groups together in a room to focus on individuals and specifically to focus on children.”

“Many people in local communities understand the long-term effects of intergenerational poverty on children and families and are actively engaged in developing solutions,” Rep. Edward Redd, R-Logan said. “These grants will assist ongoing efforts of communities in our state to mobilize local resources to address intergenerational poverty on a local level.”

In all, about $900,000 was awarded for efforts in Carbon, Iron, Kane, San Juan, Sanpete, Utah, Washington and Weber counties.

 

Well-known Sterling man facing charges of of fraud

 

MANTI—A well-known Sterling resident has made his initial appearance in 6th District Court on charges of committing fraud against his wealthy father-in-law amounting to at least $93,000.

Kevin Pete Conover, 67, and his estranged wife, Heidi Conover, 57, were both charged with multiple counts of communications fraud occurring between February 2014 and July 2015.

The charges ranged from second-degree felonies to Class B misdemeanors, depending on the amount of money involved in each individual incident.

Heidi Conover faces 14 counts of communication fraud, while Kevin Conover only faces five counts.

Deputy Sanpete County Attorney Wes Mangum suggested Kevin may have been the smarter of the two co-defendants, since he did not sign the majority of documents that make up the “paper trail” of evidence in the case.

Kevin Conover has also been charged with three misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief, wrongful posting, and unlawful use of Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) property arising from an unrelated incident, where Conover is alleged to have bulldozed a pond on property he didn’t own.

Both of the Conover cases came before Judge Marvin Bagley last Wednesday. Both cases were continued to Oct. 3 at 9 a.m., in order for the defendants to hire counsel.

Mangum explained the cases arose out of time when the Conovers had moved her father, W. Lynn Benson to their home in Sanpete County when he was having physical health problems.

During that time, between January 2013 and July 2015, the Conovers used a fraudulent power-of-attorney document to access her father’s corporate accounts for their own personal use. According to Mangum, they got Benson to sign the document without him understanding what he was signing.

While Mangum said his office has not totaled the entire amount the Conovers are alleged to have taken, charging documents state the amount taken is at least $93,992.04. The actual amount will probably be more than that.

Mangum said it is too early to determine how this case is going to be resolved. At this point, the county attorney’s office is preparing to take the matter to trial.