Hawk lose in double O.T. to tenacious Dinos, 71-64


Isaac Applegarth dribbles under a tight defense in North Sanpete’s double-overtime loss Friday to Carbon.


Hawk lose in double O.T. to tenacious Dinos, 71-64

By Rhett Wilkinson

Staff writer



PRICE—The Carbon Dinos hit some back-to-back 3-pointers and went on 9-0 final run to defeat the North Sanpete Hawks, 71-64, in double overtime last Friday in the second round of the 3A state tournament.

The Hawk defeat wasn’t for lack of trying. The North Sanpete had been down as much as 15 points during the game. But by the last period, they were closing the gap.

That’s when Brady Jacobson hit three 3-pointers in the last 36 second to force the game into the first overtime.

Near the end of the overtime, the Hawks were ahead. Then Preston Condie of Carbon hit back-to-back 3-pointers to force a second overtime. (Condie ended up with 30 points for the night.) From there, the Dinos took over and went on the 9-0 run to end.

“Brady hit some incredible shots down the stretch,” Hawks Coach Cris Hoopes said. “He was able to get hot in a desperate time. He is a resilient player who wants to win.”

Hoopes moved North Sanpete, which was 12-9 for the season, out of the full-court press late in the first overtime. That’s because North Sanpete was “getting beat at times in overtime and rebounding had been an issue,” Hoopes said.

“We were using smaller player[s] to press and had given up some offensive rebounds that had kept them in the game,” Hoopes said. “When we got ahead, we adjusted to try and take that away.”

The Hawks still trailed 49-43 with only 31 seconds left in the game.

But then Trevin Morley got an offensive rebound and passed it underneath the basket to Landon Bowles, who kicked it out to Jacobson. He hit another 3-pointer with 25 seconds left. Carbon’s Merrick Morgan shot a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left, rather than holding the ball and forcing the Hawks to foul. Morley got the rebound and gave it to Jacobson, who dribbled up-court before making an NBA-range 3-pointer.

The Hawks even led in the first overtime, when Morley hit a 3-pointer, and that three-point lead was preserved with a Milne layup.

Then, North Sanpete led 60-56 with 25.8 seconds left, but Condie hit a 3-pointer eight seconds later. Jacobson, a 63 percent free throw shooter entering the game, made both free throws after getting fouled.

Then Condie hit another 3.

That came with just seven seconds left—just 10 seconds after the prior one.

There were five ties or lead changes in the final 1:44 of the first overtime.

However, the Hawks still led 64-62 with 3:03 left in the second overtime after a layup by Landon Bowles, over the 6’10” Hatch. But that is what preceded the Dinos scoring the final nine points of the game.

Bowles had 17 points on 7-of-14 shooting, six rebounds, five assists and five steals and Trevin had 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting, four rebounds, four assists and a steal.

Hoopes talked about Bowles.

“Landon has really done well for us, especially at the end of the year,” Hoopes said. “He overcame his knee injury from football and started to play very well for us. The second half of the year, he was our leading scorer and gave us a reliable scorer. His stats show how good of an all-around player he is.”

Hoopes also said he was “proud” of his team’s effort.

“The game could have went either way, with both teams hitting big shots and giving their all to win the game,” Hoopes said.