Mt. Pleasant boy improving from gunshot to head

Mt. Pleasant boy improving
from gunshot to head

By Robert Stevens

Managing editor



            MT. PLEASANT—A 10-year old Mt. Pleasant boy is continuing to improve after he was accidentally shot in the head at a cousin’s home last week.

            According to Mt. Pleasant City Police Chief Jim Wilberg, at approximately 2:40 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 16, Officer Al Taylor responded to call about an injured child at a residence near 400 North and 100 East.

            The officer found two cousins, ages 11 and 10 at home alone, and the younger boy, Javon Norman, son of Melissa and Troy Reese, bleeding from the head.

            Apparently, Javon had been staying at his cousin’s house while his mother was working. Melissa Reese said the youngsters had only been without supervision for about an hour.

            According to initial information gathered by the police, the gunshot had been inflicted by a .40 caliber handgun that had been locked up in a gun safe. One of the boys may have known the access code, Wilberg says, but one way or another, the boys got a hold of the semi-automatic pistol. The gun went off, and the bullet struck Javon.

            “This was a freak accident,” Melissa Reese said.  “The safe was locked. They [her sister’s family] don’t even know how their son knew the code. Everything was secure. “

            Javon was transported by ambulance to Sanpete Valley Hospital (SVH), and subsequently airlifted to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City. According to information gathered by Wilberg’s department, the boy woke up about 4 p.m., just before being transported to Salt Lake City, and spoke a few words.

            “He is doing extremely well, feeling better and better each day,” his mother said Monday.

            Melissa posted a statement to Facebook, saying “I want to thank SVH for their fast, life-saving actions that have saved my son. Javon has a long road ahead of him and we don’t know what each day will bring. But today I am beyond grateful that he is still here with us and for the outpouring of love that has been shown to our family in this time.

            “If everyone would keep him in your prayers that would mean so much to us,” she added. “Also pray for my sister and her family.”

            Javon’s mother’s request to include her sister’s family in prayers is because more than one person victimized. “His cousin is completely distraught,” Melissa said. “This was just a tragic accident.”

            “The two boys were related, so it’s a family issue, and the families have been very cooperative,” Chief Wilburg said. “Things are very preliminary, but we just want to find out exactly what happened and how.”

            Officers involved in the investigation say an incident like this is a good reminder why gun safety should be a high priority, especially when children are around.