Ephraim will get $55k from watershed protection program

Ephraim will get $55k from watershed protection program


James Tilson

Staff writer



EPHRAIM — The City of Ephraim will receive $55,000 from a national program aimed at repairing damage done by natural disasters, and protecting against future ones.

The money is part of $5 million the National Resource Conservation Service (a division under the U.S. Department of Agriculture) is investing in Utah through its Emergency Watershed Protection Program, which aids communities in recovering from or preventing disasters.

“In anticipation of the high runoff we will experience this spring, these projects are especially important to protect life and property in these communities,” said Bronson Smart, NRCS’s state conservation engineer for Utah.

Ephraim City’s portion of the grant is slated for work to repair and prevent erosion of a debris basin above the city, as city economic development director Bryan Kimbvall stated when he presented information of the grant at a meeting of the Ephraim City Council on Wednesday, March 15.

Kimball also presented a bid for a project to repair the Gobblefield settling pond spillway, which had been discovered to have deteriorated due to runoff. A weakness in the spillway’s concrete threatened to undermine a side wall, which could have caused the entire structure to fail if runoff was great enough.

The Gobblefield spillway projects was bid at $69,030. Kimball said federal grants could cover 75 percent of that; the other 25 percent had to come from matching funds.

However, Kimball said, in-kind contributions would cover the match requirement except for about $5,000, which could be split between the city and the Ephraim Irrigation Company.

Work is scheduled to be completed before mid-April and the spring runoff.