Templars win game in overtime, 62-60

Templars win game in overtime, 62-60

By James Tilson

Staff writer

Feb. 22, 2018


HEBER—The Manti High School boys basketball team advanced to the quarterfinals of the Utah State 3A basketball playoffs by defeating Providence Hall 62-60 in a thrilling overtime victory last Saturday, Feb. 17, at Wasatch High School in Heber.

“Providence Hall was a tough opponent, and our boys fought hard the entire game to pull away with the win,” Manti’s coach Devin Shakespear said. “We had foul trouble, and injuries to a couple players in the game, so our bench played a lot and really stepped up for us.”

Playing in their second-straight overtime game, the Templars got out to an early lead but could not put away a pesky Patriots team.

Whenever the Templars pushed out to a big lead, the Patriots scratched back into the game.

In the fourth quarter, the Patriots managed to fight back and take the lead with one minute left in the game, 50-49.

Both teams traded buckets, and the score was tied at 52.

Manti had time for one more possession and gave the ball to Matt Nelson for a last-second try. His drive through the lane for a layup did not go in, and the game went into overtime.

The Templars and Patriots traded buckets in the extra period, and again it went down to the final seconds.

Neither team could establish an advantage during overtime, and when the Patriots tied the game with 12.9 seconds left, it looked as if the game would go to a second overtime period.

But the Templars didn’t call a timeout and handed the ball back to Nelson to see if he could work some magic.

Once again, Nelson drove the lane looking to score or get fouled.

This time, however, he found Tanner Rasmussen sitting unguarded under the basket. Nelson flipped a nifty pass between Patriot defenders, and Rasmussen banked in an easy bucket to win the game as time expired.

Nelson led the Templars with 20 points and eight rebounds, while Kade Nicholes dished out a game-high four assists.

Manti advances to the State quarterfinals today at Dixie State in St. George to face Morgan High School. Tipoff is scheduled for 11:10 a.m.

“Morgan and every team left in the tournament is really good,” Shakespear said. “Richfield gave Morgan a good game and we are excited for the opportunity to play them.”

If the Templars advance, the semifinals and finals will also be held at Dixie State tomorrow and Saturday.